Tuesday, August 30, 2005

riddley walker (russell hoban)





Walker is my name and I am the same. Riddley Walker. Walking my riddels where ever theyve took me and walking them now on this paper the same.
I dont think it makes no diffrents where you start the telling of a thing. You never know where it begun realy. No moren you know where you begun your oan self. You myt know the place and day and time of day when you ben beartht. You might even know the place and day and time when you ben got. That dont mean nothing tho. You stil dont know where you begun.
Ive all redy wrote down about my naming day. It wernt no moren 3 days after that my dad got kilt in the digging at Widders Dump and I wer the loan of my name.
*****
Looking at the moon all col and wite and oansome. Lorna said to me, 'You know Riddley theres some thing in us it dont have no name.'
I said, 'What thing is it?'
She said, 'Its some kynd of thing it aint us but yet its in us. Its lucking out thru our eye hoals. May be you dont take no noatis of it only some times. Say you get woak up suddn in the middl of the nite. 1 minim youre a sleap and the nex youre on your feat with a spear in your han. Wel it wernt you put that spear in your han it wer that other thing whats looking out thru your eye hoals. It aint you nor it dont even know your name. Its in us loarn and loan and sheltering how it can.'
I said, 'Wel if its in every 1 of us theres moren 1 of it theres got to be a manying theres got to be a millying and mor.'
She said, 'Becaws the manying and the millying its all 1 thing it dont have nothing to gether with it. You look at lykens on a stoan its all them tiny manyings of it and may be each part of it myt think its sepert only we can see its all 1 thing. Thats how it is with what we are its all 1 girt big thing and divvyt up amongst the many. Its all 1 girt thing bigger nor the worl and lorn and loan and oansome. Tremmering it is and feart. It puts us on like we put on our cloes. Some times we dont fit. Some times it cant fynd the arm hoals and it tears us a part. I dont think I took all that much noatis of it when I ben yung. Now Im old I noatis it mor. It dont realy like to put me on no mor. Every morning I can feal how its tiret of me and readying to throw me away. Iwl tel you some thing Riddley and keap this in memberment. What ever it is we dont come naturel to it.'
I said, 'Lorna I don know what you mean.'
She said, 'We aint a naturel part of it. We dint begin when it begun we dint begin where it begun. It ben here befor us nor I dont know what we are to it. May be weare jus only sickness and a feaver to it or boyls on the arse of it I dont know. Now lissen to what Im going to tel you Riddley. It thinks us but it dont think like us. It dont think the way we think. Plus like I said befor its afeart.'
I said, 'Whats it afeart of?'
She said, 'Its afeart of being beartht.'
I said, 'How can that be? You said it ben here befor us. If it ben heere all this time it musve ben beartht some time.'
She said, 'No it aint ben beartht it never does get beartht its all ways in the woom of things its all ways on the road.'
I said, 'All this what you jus ben telling be that a tel for me?'
She larft then she said, 'Riddley there aint nothing what ain't a tel for you. The wind in the nite the dus on the road even the leases stoan you kick a long in front of you. Even the shadder of that leases stoan roaling on or stanning stil its all telling.'
Wel I cant say for cern no mor if I had any of them things in my mynd befor she tol me but ever since then it seams like they all ways ben there. Seams like I ben all ways thinking on that thing in us what thinks us but it dont think like us. Our woal life is an idear we dint think of nor we dont know what it is. What a way to live.
Thats why I finely come to writing all this down. Thinking on what the idear of us myt be. Thinking on that thing whats in us lorn and loan and oansome.


clicky

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i just started reading this book and i'm still confused about what these words mean:

"lorn and loan and oansome."
is this supposed to say forlorn and alone and lonesome, or is it lorna ...something..etc

"No it aint ben beartht"
is this burnt?

"You look at lykens on a stoan"
lykens.. wtf?

5:56 pm, October 27, 2005  
Blogger zoe said...

hey there
i think you're on the right track with the 'lorn and loan and oansome'.. folorn, alone, on his ownsome pretty much sums it up.
beartht = birthed (born)
lykens on a stoan = lichens on a stone (mossy type stuff i guess)

http://www.graphesthesia.com/rw/index.html have an online index of words and phrases and chapter annotations for further help.

enjoy the book!
x

1:31 pm, October 28, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home